Wednesday 22 April 2015

Fingerprinted for the first time

Well, at least it wasn't the US Border Patrol that was asking me to put my thumbprints and index fingers onto a little ink stamp pad and press them down onto an official-looking document.

It was my lawyer -- Notario actually -- a very nice, young-looking man who took charge of creating a document which shall henceforth be known as my "Mexican Will". I wish I had taken a picture. (Of my fingerprints.)

They really do do things differently here, and the trick is in knowing that you have someone who understands the rules. The rules are a little complicated. They are not threatening or intimidating; they are simply the way things are done in Mexico. And the rules don't change, and that's a good thing. If you know them and follow them, everything will be fine; otherwise, maybe, not so much.

Tomorrow we are leaving the painters to go nuts on their own and heading to Guad to look at furniture. (That's the way everyone refers to Guadalajara: Guad.) I have driven in Guad before so I am not really worried about it. Monterrey? That's a whole separate reality.

A really funny part of the Notario story is that one of the lawyers who works for the Notario (things are inverted here) is also a fumigator. We got his card, because we want him to come spray for what-nots before we come back in July.

When I suggested to the room how perfect an idea it was that a lawyer should also be moonlighting as someone who kills bugs on the side, it did receive quite a laugh from all concerned. My own reaction was: Really? Has no one before thought that this was strange or funny?

At least everyone seems good at their jobs.





No comments:

Post a Comment